I am sooo excited about switching to Common Core for math next year!
I am looking forward to teaching a math curriculum that is developmentally appropriate for my students. (Although, my coworkers keep reminding me that our county will probably put their own spin on things) My students and I have struggled through fractions in the past. This is sad because in my class we LOVE math!! Their little brainos just can't handle this abstract concept, especially in the two weeks that I have to teach ALL of this:
- Represent fractions (halves, thirds, fourths) concretely and symbolically.
- Compare fractions (halves, thirds, fourths) using models.
- Make different representations of the same fraction
- Combine fractions to describe parts of a whole
- Create, model, and solve problems that involve addition, subtraction, equal grouping, and division into halves, thirds, and fourths (record in fraction form).